Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council - Forage Panel Workshop
April 11, 2013
Dr. Ellen K. Pikitch – This presentation will introduce the forage fish management issue and the findings of the Lenfest Forage Fish Task Force report.
- identify the problem and discuss generic forage fish definitions
- discuss scientific evidence that forage stocks require special management consideration
- summarize the task force report and other scientific findings and recommendations with respect to management of forage stocks
Dr. Edward Houde – The primary purpose of this talk is to summarize current scientific consensus on forage species
management and then to place the issue within the context of ecosystems under the jurisdiction
of the Mid-Atlantic Council.
- summarize current scientific consensus on need to manage forage fish more
- conservatively to preserve ecosystem structure and function (including resiliency)
- place the issue within the context of Mid-Atlantic (MA) ecosystems
- briefly describe MA ecosystems and species that are likely important forage stocks (managed and unmanaged)